20121215

Embracing the Suck


It’s one of my brothers’ birthday today. He’s a whole 28 years old now. He’s the one who I look up to and admire the most. He’s the paratrooper. Or more aptly was; he’s out now and in pursuit of becoming a pharmacist. Honestly, I have more respect for ‘troopers than for the average Hooah.  Maybe because they take more pride in what they do, where they’ve been, and are pretty damn crazy. Like Marines, but a little less… extreme. Then again, anyone who decides it’s a good idea to jump out of a perfectly good C-130 has to be a little crazy.
He served his time, did his civic duty, and he’s spent more than enough time in the ‘Stan.


I joined the Marine Corps with the intent to eventually deploy. I wasn’t under the illusion that I wouldn’t.
Sometime in October I had gone to MEPS for the second to last time. I swore in. I was slated to go to the Island and stand on the yellow footprints sometime the following January.
Five year contract as a 5811 – Military police officer. I got my wish.


 Now? Now what? Am I ever going to go to Afghanistan? Probably not.
Definitely not this enlistment, due to my current assignment.
The war isn’t over, but we’re leaving the country regardless.
My brother confessed to me that he’s happy I won’t have to deal with that stress. The constant threat of rocket and mortar attacks. The stench that is the mud and people of the place. That I won’t have to worry like he did.


I joined to serve.
And I am, in whatever capacity the Corps dictates that I do. I know a lot of people, the ones who aren’t here, that look at the job I have and are in awe.
You might scoff at me wanting to go be boots on the ground. But don’t. You joined for the same reason, and now you regret it? Did they not teach you to embrace the suck? It seems they haven’t.
You volunteered for this deployment. No one forced you. Your entire unit didn’t get orders to go.
So don’t go hating on those of us who would much rather be OCONUS than sitting here stateside.
Don’t tell me, “You say that until you’re here.” When I tell you I’d trade you in a heartbeat.
Because you don’t know me. I don’t think you ever did, really.
This is what we’re trained for. We joined during a period of armed conflict. What else did you expect? Cupcakes and tea time?
Maybe you did. Maybe you only wanted the hero worship that I saw when I went home with you on leave. Your reasons for joining to provide a better life for your daughter, is admirable.

We all go through hell, but we keep our hopes up because there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. Everything has an end, whether or not you know when or where it is.
Maybe I’m just strangely optimistic. I can tell you I was never this way prior to the Corps.


But really. It could always be worse.


Or maybe it’s just you.

No comments:

Post a Comment